TO ALL BOT & EC NOMINEES:
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR GETTING YOUR PEOPLE’S PROMISE TO VOTE FOR YOU. THEY MUST BE REGISTERED MEMBERS IN THE NHIC COMMUNITY. IT IS YOUR JOB TO ENCOURAGE YOUR SUPPORTERS TO ATTEND
THE 1ST DAY OF VOTING ON SUNDAY, MARCH 22ND, SECTION 5.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (EC) NOMINEES: ACCORDING TO NHIC BYLAWS, THE ROLE OF EACH EC POSITION IS DEFINED
Section 7 .3.4 Responsibilities of Committee members
- Generally manage all activities of the NHIC.
- Call, preside, and conduct meetings of the Board and EC.
- Form and hold accountable ALL Sub-Committees with the approval of the EC MEMBERS.
- OVERSEE funds and expenses of the NHIC as defined in Article IX.
- PRIMARY SIGNATORY ON ALL Bank Accounts for the expenses of the NHIC IN ADDITION TO SECONDARY SIGNER, FOR ALL BANK ACCOUNTS EXCEPT THE ENDOWMENT ACCOUNT.
- Present ALL reports to the General Assembly regarding the status of the NHIC in meetings and/or in a newsletter.
- Call, preside, and conduct meetings of the Board and EC.
- Be SPOKESPERSON and representative for the NHIC in external activities. OR Designate A MEMBER APPROVED BY EC.
- Act as a liaison between the EC and the BOT.
- Establish NEW AND MANAGE EXISTING RELATIONSHIPS WITH other local, regional AND national Islamic centers AND ISLAMIC ORGANIZATION, WITH THE APPROVAL OF EC.
- Interview, negotiate terms, HIRE AND DISMISS :
- Salaried staff after an APPROVAL by the EC.
- The Imam/Sheikh WITH APPROVAL OF EC AND BOT.
- CONTRACTORS WITH MAXIMUM COMPENSATION OF $1500. ANYTHING GREATER THAN $1500 MUST BE APPROVED BY EC.
- Carrying out the management of the activities of the Masjid in the absence of the President.
- Acting as a liaison between the EC and all Sub-Committees.
- Assisting the President in accomplishing the objectives of the Masjid.
- Presiding over the security details of the premises owned by the NHIC.
- Supervising general upkeep of the premises of the NHIC.
- COORDINATE WITH THE PROJECT MANAGER OR CONTRACTOR OF any construction, additions, and repairs.
- Take the minutes of each meeting and maintain a minute book, which is to be kept at the principal office of the NHIC.
- Prepare and circulate minutes of EC and Board meetings amongst their members, within five days after the meeting or at the beginning of the following meeting if it takes place after less than five days.
- Prepare the agenda for the meetings in conjunction with the President and notify the members.
- Maintain a list of all members and volunteers for various Masjid functions.
- Maintain the records of NHIC membership and update them periodically and establish a membership directory.
- Establish and maintain filing system with the help of President and Vice President.
- Maintain the registration of the NHIC with the appropriate governmental agencies and departments and preserve the non-profit status of the NHIC and City, State and Federal governments.
- Preside over the EC meetings in the absence of both the President and the
- Present at the beginning of each meeting the minutes of the previous meeting for approval.
- Make available a list of members eligible to vote according to Bylaws.
- TO ENSURE MEETINGS ARE BEING CONDUCTED WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF the Bylaws of the NHIC.
- Preside over the committee for the newsletter of the Masjid.
- Write letters and responses on behalf of the Masjid, along with the President.
- File all required forms and documents with the City, State of Connecticut, U.S. Federal government, WITH APPROVAL OF THE PRESIDENT AND VP.
- All required financial returns with IRS and State DRS in conjunction with the Treasurer WITH APPROVAL OF THE PRESIDENT AND VP, AFTER PREPARED BY THE CERTIFIED BOOKKEEPER AND/OR CPA.
- COLLECTING, DEPOSITING, and RECORDING OF FUNDS RECEIVED FROM MEMBERS WITH WITNESSES DESIGNATED BY THE EC.
- Checks should never be signed by the preparer and must be approved by the EC President.
HIRED BOOKKEEPER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- THE BOOKKEEPER TO DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE EC PRESIDENT AND/OR A DESIGNEE OF THE PRESIDENT.
- Maintain the records of all financial transactions of the NHIC.
- Take the responsibility of writing disbursements, bank reconciliation, and reporting the financial status of the Masjid to the EC and the Board on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Prepare an annual budget and submit it to the EC at the beginning each fiscal year.
- File taxes, all required financial information forms, and all required returns for city, state and federal governments in conjunction with the Treasurer and/or Secretary.
- Prepare monthly financial reports of income and expenditures of the NHIC for the EC.
- Prepare quarterly financial reports of income and expenditures of the NHIC for the Board.
- Prepare annual final financial reports of income and expenditures for the General Assembly at the end of each fiscal
An election committee has been formed to start the process of choosing a new Executive Committee and Board of Trustees. The following community members have been selected:
- Maryam Sorrells
- Shabbir Khan
- Mohammed Hudu
The following timeline has been created to expedite the election process:
- December 14, 2019 – Deadline to have all paperwork filed for nominees
- December 21, 2019 – Meet & Greet the nominees and town hall meeting
- First day of voting – January 4, 2020
- Second day of voting – January 18, 2020
- Third day of voting – February 1, 2020
* The dates for second and third voting is dependent upon the turnout for the first round of voting based on the guidelines in the bylaws.
For elections to take place, at least 50% of the registered community members must be present. If this does not occur, elections will be postponed for two weeks, at which time at least 33% of members must be present again. If this requirement is not met, then the elections will be postponed for two weeks and a minimum of 20 registered members must be present for the elections to take place. Registered members will be contacted to join the elections by any of the following means that the EC deems reasonable at the time, including but not limited to mail, email, phone calls, text messaging, or a general announcement or announcement on the website.
NHIC Board of Trustees